Subject: Parsifal
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Jan 2017 12:31:59 -0500

Donald

My own experience leads me to think that your statement
is not true in all cases, thiugh I am certainly not speaking
for Louis.

I've never "gotten" the overall concept of Parsifal, and its
morality message, whatever it may be, escapes me. I have
seen the opera a number of times, with some pretty
impressive casts, and I remain unconvinced about its
magnificence. I do love the choral sections of Act One and
most of the third act. The orchestrations are breathtaking
throughout, but I really dislike both the concept and the
execution of Act Two, a lot. Klingsor and Kundry are just
not what I want to watch or hear, though I have enjoyed
Callas from the 1950 Rome performance, much more for
her extraordinary vocalism than for any insights she may
bring to the role. You might say "I just don't get it" though
I have enjoyed Crespin, Ludwig, Siepi, Brilioth and others
for their vocalism.

Bob

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 11:24:18 -0500, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>To say you "love" Wagner without "getting" PARSIFAL arouses a
>suspicion of prejudice based on subject matter, because Wagner's final
>work is a summation of all that he strove to achieve as a composer and
>dramatist.
>
>dtmk
>
>On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Louis Perraud
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>  I can think of two other listening categories: Operas I never got, and operas I blow hot
and cold about.  Top of the list in the first category is Parsifal.  I love all the other Wagner
operas, early and late, but P. leaves me cold. In the second category are bel canto operas,
esp La donna del lago and Semiramide, which on some listens thrill me and on others bore
me.