Subject: R&J yesterday went my way (HD in Virginia-1-21-16)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Jan 2017 09:30:14 -0500

Since DC was completely unnavigable with the wonderful Women's March yesterday I simply headed across the river about 10 minutes away to Arlington/Alexandria to see the HD. I don't get to many HD's each year as I prefer to watch opera live and the timing is very hard for me on Saturdays, but this new R&J (and the upcoming Rusalka) was something I did not want to miss.

The in-fighting here on Opera-L indeed sounds much like all the political arguments that have been going on these past few days. Many loved Damrau, many thought she was awful; to each his own for sure.

I for one thought the couple were completely impressive in both acting and singing quarters and I did very much enjoy the overall production. There are two things that I did not understand:

1)Why is the tall lone column suspended off the ground at the beginning of the overture and then lowered to the floor for the rest of the opera (is this bringing us down to earth or something)?

2)Who is the woman in the feathered hat who seems to be "running" the show as the overture starts? I thought it might be Rosalinde, but Romeo seems to have no interest in her. She then reappears in some of the scenes with Juliet but never seems be acting as a mute mother, aka Mrs. Capulet.

I was less excited with some of the smaller roles such as Tybalt, but what luxury casting with Diana Montague as Gertrude!  Overall the experience was well worth it and an afternoon well spent.

Let's try not to quibble so much on Opera-L and resort to name calling and rude remarks. Make your statement, say why and let's go on. Folks are entitled to retort, but no need for name-calling and rudeness. Surely we are better than that.

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC