Subject: Re: Patti Smith's 5 Favorite Operas
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Jan 2017 20:36:37 +0200

I don't object to such lists - they have a way of jostling "ground truth" out of the subconscious.

SF Opera just announced their next season. I think of what are the five things I'd be most excited to see on the list.

Mine are:

(1) Tristan und Isolde. Like Tristan's wound, once this music gets in your blood you never recover from it.

(2) Aida. Even though I despair of seeing/hearing a really satisfying presentation. Everything about it is just so incredibly hard. But incredibly beautiful.

(3) Die Frau ohne Schatten. Yes, it's too long. Yes, the plot is a labyrinth and the libretto's symbolism is murky and confusing. But I adore every minute of it.

(4) Le Nozze di Figaro. Probably the opera I've seen more than any other in every kind of professional or amateur production imaginable. But I never come close to getting tired of it.

(5) Jenufa. A hard choice vs. Eugene Onegin. The strange beauty of Janacek's music and the story that manages to be horrific but still ultimately uplifting.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone