Subject: Re: Patti Smith's 5 Favorite Operas
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Jan 2017 10:46:54 -0500

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 10:14 AM, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am especially struck, this time, by a certain lack of enthusiasm for
> much of Verdi's output, compared with Puccini and Wagner.

Well, let's then correct for that one. My top choices:

- Just about anything by Verdi from NABUCCO on. My top three or four of his
operas change over time, but DON CARLO seems to always be among them, so it
must be that it's my ultimate favorite of all operas.
- Anything by Mozart starting with IDOMENEO
- TANNHAUSER is probably my favorite Wagner
- a tie between LA GIOCONDA and ANDREA CHENIER
- love Strauss, but if I have to pick one, it probably would be ARIADNE AUF
NAXOS

I also love much of the French repertory, so limiting our choices to top 5
seems so unfair :-) (Though I noticed that many of us couldn't help but
extending them into top 5 groupings rather than single operas.)

Best, Vesna
(who loves, loves, loves Verdi!)