Subject: Re: Todays R&J and random thoughts about HD
From: Francis Immler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Jan 2017 03:57:25 -0500

Haven't been contributing for some time, but I feel I need to because
commenters so far have focused on the title characters.
There was an EXTRAORDINARY performance today that for me makes this one
memorable: the Mercutio.

I was unable to take my eyes off Elliot Malore from his entrance, and his
juicy young voice was so well used throughout.

Re the former: yes he is drop-dead gorgeous, but more important were his
immediate and continuing eye- and facial- interactions with his colleagues
that drove the drama on from the start. He worked remarkably well with
Grigolo, I thought, treating him as an equal (as friends would) and not
deferring to His Illustriousness (Grigolo). I saw no attempt to upstage
Romeo, but that would not be in Mercutio's character. He simply EMBODIED
Mercutio, bombing all around the stage, while Romeo was whining. THIS made
the HD a memorable performance for me. (Not that Damrau and Grigolo weren't
good: they certainly were, but we know what they're all about, and we are
lucky to have them in searing form for as long as we can, and for me they
were today).

But then there was the astounding duel with Tybalt. Malore was all over the
stage, whirling, cavorting in a way few opera singers EVER have done in my
experience, and so naturally. Maybe it helps that we was a hockey player
when he was a youngster in Toronto.

His voice was also luscious and never strained, just clean and natural and
pure. I see that he is scheduled for Pelleas in Cleveland and Sydney later
this year. I know some don't get Pelleas et Melisande, but if anyone is
close-by to either place, don't hesitate to hear and see this glorious
young man in his prime. His BA and MA in Opera at Curtis and his time with
The MET's Lindemann program has clearly been well spent. This is a major
talent.

Frank/Princeton

ps: My comments come from seeing R&J Live in HD in Hamilton NJ. I DO know
that the in-house experience is very different. We scheduled 8 in-house
performances that we really wanted to see live, for one reason or another.
We are glad we did this one in HD, and we had no problems with Damrau AT
ALL. We are also doing Rosenkavalier Live in HD, JUST to see Garanca, whom
we love..