Subject: Ailyn Perez and Kim Witman pour it on at Wolf Trap recital (1-20-17)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 17:22:09 -0500

I could not have imagined a more positive and calming end to yesterday than the superb recital of French & Spanish songs given by Ailyn Perez who returned to Wolf Trap where she said she got her first "paying" job in opera to join olf Trap Opera Director Kim Witman at the piano.

I adore Obradors and the program got off to a superb start with selectins from his Canciones Calsicas Espanolas:

La mi sola, Laureola

Al Amor

Corazon, por que pasais

El majo celoso

Con amores, la mia madre

Del cabello mas sutil

Chiquitita la novia

Of these, I had never heard the first with its wonderful acapella framing and whenever I hear "del cabello..." I melt; lst night was no exception and the super pianissimo at the stanza break was amazing.

Next came Faure's Poeme d'un jour with three gorgeous songs followed by Turina's Poema en forma de canciones which I fell in love with from its opening piano solo by Ms. Witman to the ending on an amazing final note.

I had never noticed a piano tuner retuning a piano at the break, but it happened here ansd we returned to some fun Q&A with the artists followed by Hahn's

A Chloris, Le rossignol des lilas, L'enamouree, L'heure exquise and Le printemps.

The program ended with more superb Spanish in de Falla's Siere Canciones Populares Espanolas.

Each song had a different character and emotion and Ms. Perez gave it all to us.

Ms. Perez introduced the first encore as Sondheim's "Children Will Listen" noting it was an appropriate song to end this difficult day here in DC....understatement. We got a second encore with the gorgeously impressive "Donde lieta uschi" from Act III of Boheme that had the audience on its feet and we all went home very well calmed and satisfied.

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC