Subject: Romeo et Juliette from the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 16:29:17 -0500

as heard on WQXR.

Notes

I don'like the opera until the great ensemble that ends Act 3. It is
stunning, and it was executed very well. Juliette's Waltz and his
big solo turn are fine, b

I thought Damrau and Grigolo started out very badly, and that they
were much better in the last 2 scenes. She sings very out of tune, with
lots of wire and unsteady tone. He sings with lovely tone, but his
attacks from under the pitch, especiall above the staff, drive me
nuts. He can sing cleanly and often does, but those scoops, aka
phony portamenti, are horrendous. Stop it!

She is what she is, the end result of a lot of mileage. It happens
to the best of us!

All in all, I was not happy, but I really did enjoy the end of the
third act, a lot. I guess that's somethin'.

Bob