Subject: Re: PBS, NEA etc.
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 12:59:40 -0500

Hi, Y'all!
    The saddest part (to me) of this whole thread is  that so many list
members seem to see PBS as a "messenger," that merely reflects  the dumbing
down and gradual deterioration of American culture.  Part  of PBS's MISSION is
to resist that trend, to educate, to enlighten, to challenge  the public on
as many fronts as possible.  PBS has not only failed in this  portion of its
mission, it has totally (and almost proudly) abandoned it in  favor of
"popular" programming that can continually be recycled for the  frequent pledge
drives.  PBS deserves every word of harsh criticism it  has received, and
then some.  And to the extent that PBS is a messenger, it  does, indeed, need
to be SHOT.  This is especially true when the PBS  station in question is,
at least in part, sponsored by a college or a  university, such as is the
case in Madison, Wisconsin, for example.   Several recent posts have tended to
view PBS as some sort of innocent bystander,  reflecting a trend over which
it has no control.  These posters, of course,  are part of the problem.
    I have long since given up contributing to any PBS  station.  Instead,
whenever PBS (radio and/or TV) holds a pledge  drive, I call in.  I tell
them I am NOT pledging, and I tell them  why.  I also send in a letter (I have
a form letter for this long  established in my computer) to the marketing
director of the station, explaining  why they receive no money from me.  I
point out that at one time, I was a  generous donor--but no longer.  If
everyone who used to pledge, or who has  decreased their pledge amount because the
station now offers nothing but  continuous drivel, were to do the same. the
situation might change.
    I now watch NOTHING on PBS television except for  the "Met in HD"
operas and an occasional "Nova" when the subject interests  me.
    Best,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 1/21/2017 9:12:15 A.M. Central Standard Time,