Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanosky
From: Kathy Boyce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:36:23 -0500

I tried not to respond, I really did. But it amazes me that people who
know nothing think they have all the answers.  People have seen photos
and know they would hate the production.  They see a name of a director
and know they would hate the production.  Have you ever actually seen
the production?

They assume there is more to it because Gelb couldn't possibly be
telling the truth!  There is always more to it, and why do you think you
have a right to know all that goes into making a decision. It boggles
the mind.  Sure there are some regie productions I haven't liked.  But I
made that decision after seeing the production, or at least a video of
the whole thing. I'm struggling right now with the stream of a Macbeth
from Latvia, which seems bizarre to me, but I intend to watch the rest
before I decide it has no redeeming qualities.

I have also seen traditional productions I didn't like.  And I bet
others have too.  And I can't imagine seeing the same old production 15
or 20 times just because I like who is singing.  But then, many of these
same people don't think there are any singers worth hearing who are
still alive.

I think it is wonderful we have choices.  And we can decide to go or not
to go.  But I don't know why that gives us the right to decide for other
people.

Kathy Boyce
New Hampshire

www.cafepress.com/operabayreuth