Subject: Re: PBS, NEA etc.
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:42:34 -0700

In regard to downloading or watching programs from the internet, the
quality has much improved over the years.  Once the live performance has
been broadcast, most of the European opera houses leave the videos out
there for a month or more and if the original live tramsmission sputtered
and coughed you can download the videos later.  I have downloaded hundreds
of opera performances without a single glitch with wonderful sound and HD
video.  Unless you are on a very slow line or dial-up(god forbid) you
should have no problem enjoying either the performance directly from those
opera houses or on your PC after you download them.  Using one of the many
programs available(I use the Universal Media Server, a free service
although you can make a contribution to continue their work on the product)
I can watch any of the videos on my computer in my home media room which is
50 feet away.  You can do this transmission wireless or as I did run a
small flat cable from wherever your PC is to your home media room, a piece
of cake installation.  I use the cabled home network because some of the
downloads have a very high resolution and don't transmit well over
wireless, even an augmented wireless network.  As far as programming is
concerned, you can receive programs from MediciTV which carries many of the
European festivals, numerous opera videos, ballets and orchestral concerts
plus many documentaries.  You can access the Digital Concert Hall which
houses season after season of Berlin Philharmonic concerts for a minimal
fee plus live performances.  For plays and musicals I go to Digital Theater
based out of England with a catalog of amazing plays and musicals.  For
Broadway musicals there is now the BroadwayHD at *http://tinyurl.com/hcuxkx8
<http://tinyurl.com/hcuxkx8> where you can find many Broadway plays and
musicals, a catalog being added to continually for a small fee per show.
For those of us out in the boonies of NM who cannot get to the major
cultural centers frequently, all of these can be obtained with remarkable
quality off the internet.*
*dond*

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.