Subject: Re: PBS, NEA etc.
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:59:58 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Bruce Prentice <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Since PBS carries the Met opera telecasts and NEA supports a lot of the
> general arts including opera, I am posting this here.
> As a non-American, but one who lives near enough the border to receive
> PBS, I am very distressed to hear of Mr. Trump's plans.What kind of power
> will be given to him to carry out such threats?

I believe funding for the NEA, NEH, and CPB, are re-appropriated every
year. All it would take is for the Republican-controlled Congress to pass
appropriations bills with those line items zeroed out, and it would be
done. This is something Republicans have dreamed of, for decades. Reagan
would likely have done it, except that Democrats controlled the House for
his entire tenure. For some reason, George W. Bush did not make this a
priority, although his margin of control in Congress was narrower than
Trump’s is.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY