Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: PBS, NEA etc
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 09:42:24 -0500

It's another way to control the narrative.  Try to diminish at minimum and
exterminate if possible anything that might present a fair and balanced
approach.  Of course conservatives will repeat endlessly about the left
leaning nature of PBS;  anything that isn't on the extreme right by
definition is left leaning.

While I admit I could do without the do-wops and Andrea Bocelli shows, much
of that type of programming is dictated by what draws viewers--classical
music, perhaps operas in particular and the operas more recently available
in specific--simply doesn't appeal to that many folks.  Based on data, it's
actually pretty neat that PBS continues to support the 'high arts' to the
extent they do.

Please remember that tax payers don't fund PBS, no matter what the current
PR says;  they fund a (n increasingly small) portion.  As a result, PBS has
to rely on a vast number of retread programs and import a lot of British
stuff rather than sponsor new and innovative works.  Their mission has
shifted from educating the masses through fine programming to filling slots
with shows they can afford.

And the rest of America has shifted as well.  Years ago you could find
classical musicians all over the place, from variety shows where they
performed to talk shows where they.... talked.   They were provided exposure
so that wide swathes of the population responded to name recognition if
nothing else, and the casual performances of great music coming created
interest.  No longer.  America simply doesn't seem to want any sort of
format that requires expansion and intellectual involvement.  We've dumbed
down a lot of our societal goals and informed too many school age children
that if something is difficult, ignore it.

PBS now offers whatever makes people open their purses and wallets during
their interminable pledge weeks so they can then offer more substantial
offerings the rest of the year.  If the quality has fallen, if the
performing arts are less represented, it is more a reflection of the
American mind (and education system) than an indictment of the institution.

And that is the true tragedy of this discussion.

IMHO, of course.