Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanosky
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:16:37 -0700

What everyone seems to be forgetting is maybe the problem is not the
production, money or Radvanovsky.  Maybe they don't have an Alvaro?  A Don
Carlo? Both?  If you do Forza complete, you need five major singers, no
comprimario's will do in the lead roles.  Yes, you need your best mezzo's
for Preziosilla.  There have to be other reasons.  I remember when the
Forza revival was cancelled in 1996 I believe, it was because Pavarotti
didn't or couldn't learn and do the role.  They replaced it with Ballo
because most of the lead singers (Voigt and I forget who else) could be
moved easily into Ballo.  The big loss was that Aprile Millo who was
scheduled to share Leonora with Voigt never got a chance to present her
Donna Leonora to New York.  By the way, I think Donna Leonora would be a
great role for Radvanovsky, right up her alley.  Forza has a storied
history at the Met since the first performance with Ponselle, Caruso, De
Luca and Mardones in 1918.  Leonora's have included Rethberg, Milanov,
Roman, Tebaldi, Price, Arroyo, Voigt.  Alvaro's have included Martinelli,
Lauri-Volpi, Jagel, Del Monaco, Tucker and Corelli.  Don Carlo's from De
Luca to Tibbett, Warren, Merrill and of course Guardiano, from Mardones to
Pinza, Siepi, Hines and I believe Ghiaurov.  A storied history.  Its like
Gioconda, if you can't cast it, don't do it.

Donald