Subject: Carmen at the Met
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Jan 2017 16:16:21 -0700

Hi all.  This will be short.
I listened to the first Carmen last night and was mightily impressed with
Clementine Margaine making her Met debut.  What a sexy sounding Carmen.
Well sung, of course gorgeous French to the core and with an easy top and a
light touch.  Maria Agresta sounds fabulous.  A big beautiful full voice
for Micaela.  Like the old days of Freni, Maliponte and Mitchell.  Under
the circumstances, Rafael Davila was fine.  Last minute, Met debut,
nerves... Lets judge him with a later performance.  Kyle Kettleson was a
very good Escamillo.  I have a feeling that the visual would add even more
then just listening on the airwaves.  I really hate to judge people over
compressed broadcast signals.  Good performance.

Donald