Subject: Roberta Peters
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:37:29 -0500

I interviewed Roberta Peters at her place in New Rochelle. We did a film of her and even caught her playing tennis.
When she was a kid her parents found out she was not going to be a doctor or a lawyer because she was distracted, nowadays called ADD. They made the decision to help her be the best opera singer she could be.
Her studies were organized by William Herman, who in exchange made her sign a contract saying he was her only teacher. That of course turned out not to be the case. Although she never said so publicly, Martina Arroyo says they studied side by side under Mme Gurevitch.

But the interesting part of her preparation was her thorough grounding in every aspect of her craft. She knew and could speak every line of every opera she sang and learned to speak and memorize the lines of every character in each of the operas she sang. She had a diceuse for French, an Italian and in addition to all her other studies she had sessions with Joe Pilates on breath and posture.
There was even more. The point is that her grounding in her art was impressive and thorough.
I made a film that got taken off Vocalimages Presents almost as soon as it appeared. I will look it over, shorten it, and put it back.
Nora London found her a great teacher for young singers, and invited her often to work with the honorees of the George London Foundation.

Another thing. Trump is privatizing PBS. Lately their cultural programs are rehashes of Bocelli when comes to pseudo serious music. Oh and the occasional opera broadcast. Not much of a loss in that department.

I wonder about the NEA, too, as he is ending that. Some organizations start out fine and end up vitiated in some fashion.

It needed a president like Kennedy to have people like Casals at the White House.

RP

Sent from my iPhone