Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanosky
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:49:57 +0000

Katalin:
There may indeed be something valid in what you say. Sondra Radvanovsky can certainly do the role, and she's also now an established Norma (not to mention her Three Donizetti Queens). It's possible that by not wishing to appear in this production, she was invoking memories of such great divas as Callas, Tebaldi, Sutherland, Price, and Caballe ----------- all of whom would take a stand and even threaten to withdraw rather than to appear in productions which are unfortunately the rule rather than the exception today. I say it's about time that artists of superstar status should take similar stands.
When Sondra Radvanovsky performed her first Aida onstage, it took place, I believe, in Toronto. She was forced to wear a scrub woman's dress, mop a floor, and have to watch Amneris wearing a modern and fashionable business suit. The whole production was a scandal, but at that time, Radvanovsky was not yet in a position to make any objections. Today she can, and perhaps she did with respect to this production. Remember that these productions sometimes or often are seen on DVD, and what superstar singer wants to be seen in such Eurotrash.
We've seen photos of Ballo with toilets, Nabucco with huge bumblebees, etc. ; the Met has a Rigoletto that looks like B movie of the 1960's, a Sonnambula that has it's diva entering the first scene wearing sunglasses and talking on a cell phone, and a Tosca that defies description. Is this not enough? When another poster says that this "Forza" production is "not too bad", that's a red flag.
I think this has gone far enough. I also agree that there's a lot more to this story as well.

Les