Subject: Off topic
From: Kurt Youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Jan 2017 08:02:26 -0600

Due to the enormity of the event taking place in the United States today, I beg the listowner's indulgence for my deviation from the forum's purpose.

I forward a thought for the day in the form of a comment of an American journalist of the past who was uncannily prescient in his forecast.

Kurt Youngmann

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
When the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre -- the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

Sent from my iPad