Subject: Roberta Peters
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Jan 2017 01:35:18 -0500

Am very saddened by the passing of Roberta Peters.  I so vividly recall
her multitudes of TV appearances on Ed Sullivan, Bell Telephone Hour, etc.
I also heard her in concert and recital, the last being about fifteen years
ago.  She still sounded lovely and looked gorgeous.
     No singer can sustain a 35 year Met career without something very
special, obviously, and Miss Peters, her vocal abilities notwithstanding,
had the self discipline and dedication to her work that enabled her to take
the lovely, but not large, vocal endowment she was given and to expand her
stage repertoire as far as it could go.  I'm amazed at the sheer number
roles she encompassed in comparison to other sopranos of her voice type.
Besides the Gilda, Rosina, Lucia, Norina, Adina, Despina, Susanna, Zerlina,
Queen of the Night, she also sang a fine Zerbinetta, Amor in "Orfeo", and in
"Arabella".  Even as late as 1980, she undertook her first performances of
Marcelina in "Fidelio".  I know that she also undertook performances of
"Puritani" and "Sonnambula" in Europe (but never here that I know of).
Unlike Lily Pons, she refused to allow herself to ossify in a few high
ranging "chirpy" parts while waiting for time to do its work on her voice.
Also, for a voice of her type, I thought that she had an incredibly full
middle and lower register.  And of course she was a beautiful woman.
     My only regret is that she was never selected for recognition by the
Kennedy Center of Performing Arts.  I personally feel that she was far more
entitled to such recognition than was Martina Arroyo (no disrespect to Miss
Arroyo meant).  I will sorely miss this lovely and distinguished artist.