Subject: Re: carmen met tonight
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Jan 2017 01:04:58 -0500

As I recall, Berger says "re-SIT-a-tiv" - which I have never ever ever heard anyone else
say, ever. To me, it sounds like a pill (I guess a close relative to a "sedative" lol?). Of
course, badly sung recitative *is* rather like a sleeping pill, lol.

Most people tend to say "res-i-ta-TEEV" or more colloquially "res-ta-TEEV" - or "RES-it" for
short. Though I have certainly heard singers make a pun of the Italian form of the word,
calling it "wretched-ta-tive." ;-)

But "re-SIT-a-tiv?" I don't think so. Berger can say it if he wants, but one of these days he
should explain why he says it that way. ;-)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 00:31:38 +0000, Bruce P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>PS Does Berger actually know how to pronounce the word "recitative"?  (it sounded
like  "recipes" or something equally weird the way he speaks it!)