Subject: Re: Seattle Opera 'La Traviata'
From: Olga Bourlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Jan 2017 19:35:37 -0800

Saw it (with alternate cast). Singers were good (Alfredo was a bit
lightweight). Musical values and orchestra were excellent.

*"Not much in the way of sets"* <-- yes, and too many curtains flapping
around distractedly. Characters seemed one-dimensional.

I wasn't expecting Germont to actually hit his little girl (subteen, it
looked like) - I was startled! The action around this child deflected some
of the emotions usually deserved for Violetta, compounded even more when
her father busted her one (Violetta immediately sprang to comfort her the
girl)..

Dancers at Flora's party must have heard about Trump getting the
presidency, as they unenthusiastically threw around a lot of pieces of
white paper.

Olga
Seattle, WA