Subject: Politics and US Culture
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:45:44 -0500

On the same day I learned that Trump will privatize PBS and eliminate the NEA and
NEH, I also noted the incoming Treasury Security forgot to report 100 million in
property on the disclosure forms. ("They want me to report those several houses I
own?"). Then I hear Roberta Peters died.
Ms Peters was omni-presence in my humble beginnings because she was a media
figure when I was growing up in California. She was just one of those I noticed on
the Ed Sullivan Show and elsewhere and symbolized the talent and engagement
that attracted me to opera even in my early teens. It was a different period in
America's history when "high culture" meant Toscanini was broadcast on Sundays,
and Bernstein on TV taught kids about classical music, etc. That so distant past.
Now, in America,only a few papers still have a music critic. We do not have to
wonder about empty seats at the Met and their problems with getting a donation
to cover a million dollar deficit (0.3 percent of the total budget). Has culture has
lost its place in America's public consciousness?

Frank Cadenhead