Subject: Re: London Don Carlo
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Jan 2017 00:51:55 -0600

To add that it's the Italian (not French) 5-act version. The production is
semi-conventional, though there are a couple of departures, probably most
egregious in tinkering with the ending. Contra the libretto, Hytner chose
to kill Don Carlo and have him die in Elisabetta's arms. Overall, however,
it's a much more conventional production than modern regietheatre.

I would surely go to see it, if only for Hymel and Stoyanova. The rest of
the cast also looks fine and much better than most of the cast I saw at the
Met, with the exception of Hvorostovsky whose great vocal characterization
of Rodrigo is still imprinted on me. (Tezier's voice is a shade too light
for Rodrigo IMO, but his intelligence and elegant tone should more than
compensate for its relative lightness.)

Vesna

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]