Subject: Re: Whatever happened to Fabiano?
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:09:52 -0500

Max de W is right.  I was there and it was to be the highlight of my
season.  I never dreamed I'd be putting out the big bucks to see yet
another Boheme (much as I love it) but I was so excited to see Michael
Fabiano after his stirring performance at Carnegie Hall in "I Lombardi"
which knocked my socks off.
But shock of shocks -- I was astounded at what I was hearing.

My only thought was that this kind of thing seemed to be happening to
several of the other recent tenors before him who trained with the same
vocal coach at AVA.

I actually thought they were going to come out at intermission and make a
remark as to his vocal issues.
He barely reached the big one in "Che gelida manina" and I waited to hear
if he was going to take the high note with her in "O soave fanciulla" (which
always bothers me, but that's my own problem), and yes he did but not a
great one.

The voice I heard yesterday sounded nothing like the one I have been
hearing in past operas I have seen him in or heard.
How sad this is happening and my only hope is that, like several others
mentioned, it doesn't turn out to be a case of Villazon-itis.