Subject: Re: Jamie Barton in Hi-Rez
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Jan 2017 14:26:04 -0800

Impressed as I was by her Adalgisa in San Francisco a couple of years ago, I was really knocked out by her Waltraute in the D.,C. “Götterdämmerung” last May. Short as the role is, the depth and power of the expression are so great and there’s that absolutely exquisite passage when she says “Da brach sich sein Blick . . .” and the moving music from the end of “Walküre” recalls Wotan’s goodbye to Brünnhilde. My comment at the time was that this was true Golden Age singing - depth, beauty, richness and such sensitive and perceptive artistry. She has a high C that most sopranos would envy but also the contralto depth to fully realize that Waltraute scene.  Wonderful singer.

The actual timbre of the voice has much of the velvety richness of Horne, but it’s a much bigger voice. Capping the velvet is the kind of metal that allows it to project effortlessly over a large orchestra into a big hall. I’m glad she’s taking an interest in Sibelius - one of the first “classical” albums I bought as a teenager was Flagstad’s record of Sibelus songs (still a favorite) and I’ve loved them since, particularly enjoying later recordings by Tom Krause and Elisabeth Söderström.

So far as Barton is concerned, she is a bit of a dumpling on stage which could get in the way of some roles. Much as we’ve complained about the lack of Heldentenors and true Hochdramatische Wagnerian sopranos, we’ve also been short of the kind of great Wagnerian mezzo/contralto to take over the Thorborg/Klose/Ludwig succession line. Barton has the vocal and musical goods if her interest, temperament and physique were to also cooperate for Ortrud, Fricka, Brangäne, Kundry. There’s also the basis for a terrific Amnesia and Azucena if the dramatic fire is also there (don’t know that it isn’t, just haven’t seen it called upon).

Max Paley