Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanosky
From: William Prien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:01:40 -0500

I wish that for once, Peter Gelb would tell the whole truth when he
makes these announcements. There is absolutely no way that the
cancellation of there Forza production was solely due to budget issues.

It would seem that any donor funding for the production would have been
secured years ago. I also don't believe that it was cancelled because
Gelb thought that Met audiences would be offended by Bieto's take on

Gelb certainly would have know what he was getting when he agreed to
bring the production to the Met. So to me, neither reason makes sense as
to why it was cancelled.

I also don't believe that it had anything to do with Sondra Radvanovsky
not wanting  to sing the role of Leonora. Vocally, I think it would be
an easy role for her to do compared to other operas in her repertoire.

I can't recall any other instance of a new production at the Met being
cancelled so close to its opening night.

If they had to chop one new production next season, I think it should
have been Ade's "The Exterminating Angel" ( which of course won't sell
well), and the Cosi, which is completely unnecessary.

Perhaps we'll hear no more about the whole thing, but I think there is a
lot more to the story.

Modify your settings: