Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanosky"
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:27:05 -0500

For the record, Verdi's Requiem has been staged multiple times.

The NY Times reports that the decision to cancel Forza was made several months ago and
will save about $1 million.  The four Requiem performances are to engage three singers
who were originally scheduled for Forza:  Ekaterina Semenchuk, Aleksandrs Antonenko,
and Ferruccio Furlanetto.  Presumably this takes care of at least part of the Met's
obligations to these singers.  Krassimira Stoyanova, who is a singer very much to my
taste, sings the soprano part.

Whether the Met can sell out four performances (and at what prices?) is another question
entirely.

The Times also reports that the Met is in discussions to engage Ivo van Hove for "multiple
productions" and has "plans to engage ... Barrie Kosky".

DK