Subject: Re: Giving art a "fair chance"
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:56:00 -0500

You can be who you are, Dennis. A lot of people of a certain age have apparently
stopped going to the opera around the world. The Paris Opera, for instance, just
announced that their average audience age is 47. Lyon, with far more adventurous
opera productions, reached that number about 10 years ago and I am sure it is still
dropping. But total attendance numbers are good which means that the opera
companies really didn't need the Dennis Ryans of the world to survive and prosper.
Opera has changed and modernized everywhere and younger audiences are
flocking.
Maybe New York (or maybe American) audiences for the arts are shrinking. The
Metropolitan Museum of Art just cancelled the opening of a new 600 million dollar
wing. Does the new administration herald a new Renaissance for the arts? I
somehow doubt it.
Frank Cadenhead