Subject: Giving art a "fair chance"
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Jan 2017 16:53:13 -0500

Hi, Y'all!
    I wanted SO MUCH to like Kathy's recent post.   She says so much in it
that I have always wanted to believe.
    But alas, the truth is:  one of the  greatest myths ever perpetrated
upon opera lovers is the notion that one must  SEE and HEAR a production in
the house before making any judgments.
    In simple fact, I have NEVER (I mean NEVER, at no  time and of no
production or performance) seen a regie production that I truly  liked.  So it's
like hitting myself over the head with a hammer,  Kathy:  am I morally
obligated to wait for the next hammer blow in  order to determine, fairly and
objectively, that I hated it?
    So I say to every opera house in the world:   put on regie trash if you
want to.  But do not expect an "annual donation"  from me.  And, when your
production finally reaches the stage, whether I  have seen it or not, do not
expect that my seat will be paid for, much less  filled.  And if I am being
unfair to great art, and if I am not giving a  "promising artist" a chance:
 TOUGH TOE NAILS.  I will certainly not  spend the next 20 years
bad-mouthing a production in which I had not  enough interest to see in the first
place.  But I will also gladly  share my reasons for not having been interested.
    Dennis Ryan