Subject: Re: Todays R&J and random thoughts about HD
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 21:39:50 -0500

That claquer was the most annoying boor.  I was wondering which singers
might have "hired" him.  It cheapens the singer's performance to do things
like that yet I heard Callas once in an interview acknowledge the fact that
more than you'd believe practice it.

A question: Who was the soprano who was showing what a rehearsal of an
aria is like before the opera started?  I guess they used her as a sort of
advertisement and it is driving me crazy who she was.  I thought I might
have heard Ailyn Perez mention that it was Opolais but somehow that
didn't look like her.
Help?  Anyone (so I can sleep tonight).

To Bob Rideout: Well my luv, to answer part of your question:  The "Ah
leve toi soleil" as sung by Grigolo was a thing of beauty from beginning to
end.  He took that high note perfectly (not everyone does that) and the
emotion in his face told half the tale.  His heart and soul were in that aria,
as was the very sad aria after Mercutio's death. I found his performance a
very moving one.  I believe he has grown considerably as a tenor from his
first debut in Washington in "Lucrezia Borgia".
He's an exciting actor to watch too.  Wherever they cast him, I'll be there.
I'm a believer.

Perhaps, as some others have also indicated, this is one opera you miss a
lot by just hearing (and maybe even distorted over the airwaves) rather
than getting the visual effects as well.