Subject: Re: Todays R&J and random thoughts about HD
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 19:13:48 -0500

Hi Charles, Bob, and list,

I couldn't watch or listen to the broadcast today and alas will not be able
to watch the encore either. I did listen to the prima and had similar
impressions as Bob had today. I would also add that --and I truly hope
nobody takes an offense if Grigolo is one of their favorites-- to my ears,
his was a Romeo who was a bit  more in love with himself than with
Juliette. Too many exaggerated effects to my taste. Apparently that was not
the case when seen in theatre or in HD as many listers report the apparent
chemistry between them.

Also to comment about the darkness of a picture that Charles noticed. I
think BAM is correct in that it's not on their end. The darkness of Met HD
broadcasts has been constant for years wherever I watched it, Buffalo or
elsewhere if I happen to be on a trip. I think that a few other listers
also complained about it in the past. It's multiplied when a stage director
favors dark sets, as often is the case with McVicar's productions (we
virtually couldn't see anything in his CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA in HD). This
leads me to believe that the issue likely originates with the Met, either
in their technology of video recording or transmission, or some
combination. They should really do something about it because I've never
noticed it in video broadcasts from Munich, London, or La Scala, to name a

Best, Vesna

Modify your settings: