Subject: Re: Todays R&J and random thoughts about HD
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 18:35:11 -0500

Hi Charles

Yes, in my case, we have only to go back to Leonie for a picture
of, sometimes, horrendous vocalism, even in her prime, to know
that the visual aspects of opera can mitigate many vocal flaws.
However, to be precise and fair, no matter how wrecued the
vocalism, her top register was there to save the day. How many
times!

What troubles me in these reviews is that we get words like "great"
"wonderful" and ..... you get the idea, without any specificity. It may
have been great, but those who make the claim have not made the
case. You have raised a very specific point, and you are absolutely
correct. I wait to read comments from anyone on this forum who
will justify the vocalism they heard today and offer specifics. I wait
but i do not hold my breath.

Bob