Subject: Re: PBS, NEA etc.
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Jan 2017 23:33:03 +0000

I cut the cable last year and have never looked back.

With a strong bandwidth (OK, mine's gigabit, but I know that's overkill!)
and a rooftop antenna, I'm doing just fine, thanks. A VPN service provides
access to many channels from around the world and most of US TV is
available either free over the air, free online like PBS, or much cheaper
than on cable via online services such as Sling, Hulu, HBO Go and of
course, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Besides, the cultural programming from
sources such as ARTE, Berlin Phil, Met on Demand and many others is a real
embarrasement of riches.

You may need to upgrade your download speed (25 mps should be more than
enough for up to 4K, if available) and get a good dual band router for
mostly glitch-free viewing. A set top box, which could be one of the many
Android-based ones available from Amazon (or an NVIDIA Shield, for the
absolute best) will deliver everything to your TV and audio rig in very
acceptable 720p or 1080p. Of course, you can always plug your laptop onto
your TV through its HDMI port. In my case, an AppleTV box works very nicely
with my iPhone. I open any TV app, such as Netflix and just slide the arrow
accross the phone screen to send content to my TV. This lets me watch
anything on-demand, which is specially convenient with European time zone
channels. Android users can do the same (and for lower cost) via a
Chromecast dongle on one of their TV's HDMI inputs and the suitable apps in
their phones.

Fighting the present is usually a loosing proposition!