Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanovsky
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:55:14 -0500

Hi, Y'all!
    I simply do not believe Mr. Gelb's claim of  "cost-cutting" as the
reason for the cancellation of this production.  God  knows the abortion Bieito
must have conceived and intended to inflict upon  opera audiences, but
either the English National Opera or Mr. Gelb wasn't buying  it.  Bieito, who
might well be thought of as the Donald Trump of opera  stage directors,
undoubtedly came up with something guaranteed to get HIM and  not Verdi, the cast,
the conductor, or the House talked about in  reviews.
    The brutal truth of it is that I am now unwilling  to take Mr. Gelb's
word for much of anything at all.
    Best,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 1/13/2017 4:37:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On Friday, January 13, 2017, John Schweger  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Requiem for a New Metropolitan  Opera Production
>
> By MICHAEL  COOPER<http://www.nytimes.com/by/michael-cooper>JAN. 13,  2017
>
> Continue reading the main  story<https://www.nytimes.com/
>  2017/01/13/arts/requiem-for-a-new-metropolitan-opera-
>  production.html#story-continues-1>
>

> The Metropolitan  Opera announced Friday that in order to save money it
was
> canceling a  much-anticipated new production<https://artsbeat.
>  blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/calixto-bieito-coming-to-met-
>  opera-with-a-new-forza/> of Verdi's "La Forza del Destino" by the  daring
> director Calixto Bieito, planned for next season. The company  said it
would
> give several concert performances of Verdi's Requiem  conducted by James
> Levine in its place.
>

> The  announcement underscored the fragility of finances at the Met, which
> has  cut wages and fees in recent years to curb its mounting costs and
> offset  struggles at the box office. It also means the indefinite
> postponement  of the Met debut of Mr. Bieito, an iconoclastic Catalan
> director with a  thriving career in Europe and a history of mounting
> productions that  have sometimes shocked opera audiences with graphic sex
> and  violence.
>

> Peter Gelb, the Met's general manager, said in  an interview that the
> decision had been made for financial reasons, not  artistic ones.
"Basically

[https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/01/14/arts/14MET/14MET-master675.jpg
>  ]
> The Spanish opera director Calixto Bieito was to lead a staging of
Verdi's
> "La Forza del Destino" at the Metropolitan Opera. Credit  Marijan
> Murat/picture-alliance/dpa, via Associated Press
>
>  The cancellation means that the Met will present only five new
productions
> next season, which will be announced next month, down from  six. When Mr.
> Gelb became general manager just over a decade ago, he  decided that
> mounting more new productions was necessary for the company  to remain
> artistically vibrant and to help it attract new audiences.  Initially he
> presented seven new productions each season, up from the  three or four
> before he arrived.
>

> Mr. Gelb said  the decision to pull the plug on "Forza" was "not a
> reflection upon my  feeling about Calixto's talent as a director," and
said
> he still hoped  Mr. Bieito would work at the Met. But he said it was
unclear
> when or if  "Forza" would be staged, as future seasons have been planned
> through the  2020-21. Mr. Bieito did not immediately respond to a request
> for  comment.

> Continue reading  the main story<https://www.nytimes.com/
>  2017/01/13/arts/requiem-for-a-new-metropolitan-opera-
>  production.html#story-continues-1>
>
> Mr. Bieito is the second  high-profile, innovative director whose
> production was derailed en route  to the Met. The company announced over
the
>  summer<https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/arts/music/on-
>  the-way-to-the-met-a-meistersinger-is-stranded-in-europe.html> that  its
> plans to bring Stefan Herheim's production of Wagner's "Die  Meistersinger
> von Nürnberg" from the Salzburg Festival to the Met in a  future season
had
> fallen apart for a variety of reasons.
>
>  Under Mr. Gelb's leadership the Met, which has had a reputation for
>  mounting conservative, traditional productions, has increasingly turned
> more experimental international directors, including Willy Decker  and
> Patrice Chéreau, whose posthumous production of Strauss' "Elektra"  was a
> highlight last season.
>

> Mr. Gelb said that  he still wanted to bring daring directors to the Met
in
> the coming  years, and said that he had been in talks with Ivo van Hove
and
> Barrie  Kosky about future productions. "It's not as if we have suddenly
> decided  that we are not going to be gambling with new directors who are
at
> the  cutting edge of theatrical excitement," he said.
>
> Instead of the  "Forza," the Met will give four concert performances of
> Verdi's Requiem  featuring its orchestra and chorus conducted by Mr.
Levine,