Subject: Re: No Met Forza - No Radvanosky
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jan 2017 22:45:34 +0000

I don't wish to be burned at the stake for this, but I do NOT view this as a catastrophe. To me, ANY Bieto production is bad and I'm glad that it won't be seen at the Met. I love "Forza" and I love Radvanovsky, but it seems to me that a traditional Forza could be staged in a very modest manner. Radvanovsky, of course, is necessary, but Bieto is most certainly not. If an audience wants to experience the beauty of "Forza", they can experience it the way it was experienced during the days of Milanov, Tebaldi, Price, etc. It's a real singer's opera and I wouldn't care if it were presented in an even sparse production. The amount of money being spent on "artists" like Bieto is outrageous, especially when one sees the actual "production". The Met has already given us productions of operas such as Sonnambula, Armida, Tosca, Rigoletto, and others that have been the objects of derision.
Radvanovsky's Donna Leonora deserves to be framed in an at-least presentable tradition production. I'm also rather thrilled that the Met has cancelled it.

Les