Subject: Re: Nabucco in HD This Afternoon
From: Sergio da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:10:35 -0500

In my theater people were telling the others to be quiet every now and then it was very good I could watch the performance cannot be bothered by my neighbors.
I thought that Placido Domingo did well but it’s not a baritone voice especially in the middle of the voice which is crucial for the role. Nevertheless I enjoyed his singing and interpretation but he sounded like a tenor and sometimes you could even hear that special burnished tone that he has managed to keep throughout the years.
Lyudmila Monatryska did well in the difficult role of Abigaille, alas she does not have the same ease as Guleghina and her singing was too controlled in a role role that requires wildness and she did not deliver that all the time.
The bass I’ve heard live singing the same role at the MET and my impressions haven’t changed, his voice is too lightweight for the role both in the bottom and at the top, top was especially strained during the first part.
Jamie Barton was excellent as Fenena, really the best singing of the night in her little aria.
Russell Thomas was very good as ismaelle, sang with a full tone and was able to also sing quietly with some nice pianos when required.
James Levine as always was superb, one of the greatest Verdian conductors working today.
The Met orchestra and Chorus were superb as well.
A very enjoyable afternoon In the movie house.