Subject: Re: Gerald Finley
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:06:46 -0500

My general thought, which I was ineffectively trying to express, is that singing
should be a summary of both vocal color and ability along with the singer's artistic
side, the seriousness of his approach, his effort to "expand" the art of opera with
serious repertory choices, etc. Not to just seek applause, but to challenge the
audience to hear and think. Those qualities affects my choices of favorites.

Frank Cadenhad

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:36:04 -0800, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>I like the clarity and bite of his timbre and the "honesty" of his singing - i.e., no
artificial coloring or darkening. He doesn't have the velvety plush of a Terfel or
James Morris.
>But I have a hard time with what the criteria is for a "great" or "major league"
voice. I remember similar criticisms made of Janet Baker, whose recitals and
symphony appearances were some of the highlights of my musical experience. I
thought it was a superb instrument even if not as gloriously loud as Obraztsova or
Cossotto (or even Christa Ludwig, who might have been a closer comparison).

Modify your settings: