Subject: Re: Gerald Finley
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:36:04 -0800

I like the clarity and bite of his timbre and the "honesty" of his singing - ie, no artificial coloring or darkening. He doesn't have the velvety plush of a Terfel or James Morris.

But I have a hard time with what the criteria is for a "great" or "major league" voice. I remember similar criticisms made of Janet Baker, whose recitals and symphony appearances were some of the highlights of my musical experience. I thought it was a superb instrument even if not as gloriously loud as Obraztsova or Cossotto (or even Christa Ludwig, who might have been a closer comparison).

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone