Subject: Re: Oh mia patria sì bella e perduta
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jan 2017 12:06:06 -0500

My reaction exactly, Stephen !!!  I couldn’t agree more.

Other passages that prompted me to utter an audible “hah!” in the theater yesterday
were :

“NABUCCO
Babilonesi,
Getto a terra il vostro Dio!
[ * * * ]
V’č un sol Nume... il vostro Re!”

“NABUCCO
Il volto
A terra omai chinate,
Me Nume, me adorate!
ZACCARIA
Insano! a terra, a terra
Cada il tuo pazzo orgoglio...
Iddio pel crin t’afferra,
Giŕ ti rapisce il soglio!”

This last exchange caused very audible mutterings and coughs in the theater.  There were
others.  I can’t list them all, well, maybe this one:

“ABIGAILLE
Alfine cadranno i popoli
Di vile schiava, di vile schiava al pič.”

When I saw “Nabucco” at the Met on Dec. 19, at the intermission I overheard various
operagoers commenting along the same lines . . . even in the Belmont Room !

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.