Subject: Re: Greatest Met Premiere (was Re: Richard Tucker and "La Juive")
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Jan 2017 09:12:16 -0500

Your explanation would have to include a description of either
of those two "events" that  would show in what ways they
rivaled the premiere of Fanciulla, which, unlike anything by
Breil or Montemezzi, is fully documented.

As a form, the art probably died at least half a century ago,
but the elements of "greatness" which it had exhibited until then
can never die.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Donald Kane wrote:
> "Max owes us an explanation."
> You're right, I do.  I made a big mistake.  The greatest Met premiere was NOT Breil's "The
> Legend," great though that opera is.  Rather, the greatest is Montemezzi's "La Notte di
> Zoraima," which premiered at the Met in 1931, also with Ponselle in a leading role.  (She
> seems to have made a habit of being in premieres of masterpieces.)
> Here is a photo of Ponselle as Zoraima:
> Her expression tells you everything you need to know about how she felt about the opera.
> And here is a glowing review of the opera's premiere performance:
> Such greatness no longer exists.  The art form is dying.
> Max

Modify your settings: