Subject: Romeo et Juliette at the Met
From: Ivy Lin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:49:54 -0500

"Romeo and Juliet are in the crypt. Romeo succumbs to the poison just as Juliet awakens from
her self-induced slumber. Juliet stabs herself so she can die along with Romeo. Bodies slump
over each other in the crypt. Curtain. That's what happened last night at the end of the Met's
new production of Gounod's Roméo et Juliette. It's basically what happens at the end of any
presentation of Shakespeare's play.

Tragic. Heartrending, right? But as the lights dimmed I felt something I haven't felt while
attending an opera in a long time: happiness. Yes, happiness."

More thoughts here:

Modify your settings: