Subject: Re: Greatest Met Premiere (was Re: Richard Tucker and "La Juive")
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Jan 2017 23:03:01 -0500

Donald Kane wrote:

"Max owes us an explanation."

You're right, I do.  I made a big mistake.  The greatest Met premiere was NOT Breil's "The
Legend," great though that opera is.  Rather, the greatest is Montemezzi's "La Notte di
Zoraima," which premiered at the Met in 1931, also with Ponselle in a leading role.  (She
seems to have made a habit of being in premieres of masterpieces.)

Here is a photo of Ponselle as Zoraima:

Her expression tells you everything you need to know about how she felt about the opera.

And here is a glowing review of the opera's premiere performance:

Such greatness no longer exists.  The art form is dying.

Modify your settings: