Subject: Re: Franco Fagioli recital review
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:00:46 -0800

I need to give him another hearing.  I saw his Idamante in the very bloody/gory Kusej ROH "Idomeneo" in late 2014.  I didn't like what I heard. Middle voice bottled up with garbled vowels and squealy high notes. Didn't sound like Marilyn Horne at all; more like a parody of Cecilia Bartoli. I've never heard that role sung by a countertenor before, although as a castrato part it makes some sense.

It may have been the role, the night or the production. Even Polenzani sounded stiff as Idomeneo leaving the ladies to make the strong impressions: Sophie Bevan as Illia and Malin Bystrom (stunning!) as Elettra.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad