Subject: Greatest Met Premiere (was Re: Richard Tucker and "La Juive")
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:47:12 -0500

Angelo Mammano wrote:

"so I think that we can be in agreement that [Fanciulla del West] is the finest work ever to
have its beginning at that august institution."

Oh, no.  The finest work ever premiered at the Met was Breil's "The Legend," in 1919.  It was
clearly a truly great work but was unfairly consigned to oblivion almost immediately, no doubt
because of opera politics and jealousies.  If anyone is in doubt as to the merits of "The
Legend," just read some of Rosa Ponselle's comments about it.  (She created the role of
Carmelita in the opera.)

MDW