Subject: Re: Gerald Finley
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:21:34 -0500

Hi Kathy and list,

I understand your point but last season, for example, all new productions
were broadcast in HD even though most were co-produced.

If there is a DVD of this production, then it's probably understandable why
it was not scheduled for HD, but I tried to find it and couldn't locate it
anywhere. If there is a DVD (and hopefully with this same exceptional
cast), it would be helpful to provide the link.

We already discussed this issue on our forum, none of which I found to be
idiosyncratic preferences of individual members but rather all pointing to
strictly operatic standards for why it was desirable to make it accessible
to a wider audience through HD (and hence a surprise for being the only new
production this year not to find its place in HD) -- e.g., that this opera
was not performed at the Met for more than 80 years and as such was of
historic importance for this institution, that the principals were the best
that could be assembled today in these very demanding roles, the special
place of TELL in operatic history in that it influenced many who followed,
etc. The length was mentioned as a drawback but this (fortunately) didn't
prevent HD broadcasts of Wagner's operas.

I did notice that recent choices of HD broadcasts often featured a "diva"
or a male lead with matinee-idol looks but hope this doesn't turn into the
main criterion for their selections.

Vesna