Subject: Re: Pretty Yende's voice in the house tonight at the Met ???
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jan 2017 22:51:42 -0500

Listening to the same Jan 9th performance of BARBIERE, I'm occasionally wondering what
opera is being performed tonight. :-(

Camarena is the star tonight IMO. Sounding terrific, and indeed, always with plenty of
musicality. Is Mattei under the weather? I love him, but I'm hearing a lot of forced high
notes and other odd sounds I'm not used to hearing from him. Benini is suffering from
acute prestissimo disease - too many moments where the singers were left to try to catch
up to him as he mercilessly raced through things as if his hot date after the show was
more important. (That Act I Finale - holy fuck, excuse my french. The singers didn't stand
a chance.)

Yende? Was it opening night jitters? She seemed really unsteady, sometimes egregiously
off pitch, and some of her passagework was really messy and ragged. There were other
times when she seemed fine. But having enjoyed her work in the past, tonight was a real
disappointment. I hope that she gets more comfortable as the run goes on.

But even the Berta was trying things beyond her abilities, making for a "Il Vecchiotto Cerca
Moglie" that was no respite from all the other messy music making tonight.

Maybe it all sounded better in the house? I hope so.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 01:51:47 +0000, Conrad, Stephen A. <[log in to unmask]>

>Listening to the Jan. 9th performance of BARBIERI, I was prepared for the extra measure
of musicality and vibrant engagement I have been hearing thus far from Benini, Camarena,
and Mattei.  But I was surprised by the impression I heard via microphones of Yende's
voice, rather throughout its range, resounding with a presence that seemed vicerally
house-filling.  Pray tell, anyone in the house tonight: Tonight was Yende's voice quite all
that-- a lyric coluratura not only that reaches throughout the house but that also fills the
house with its palpable presence?  Such a voice is rare indeed.  Thanks for any assessment
of the real thing, which can only be judged in the house.
>Sent from my iPad
>OPERA-L on Facebook:
>Modify your settings:

Modify your settings: