Subject: Pretty Yende's voice in the house tonight at the Met ???
From: "Conrad, Stephen A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jan 2017 01:51:47 +0000

Listening to the Jan. 9th performance of BARBIERI, I was prepared for the extra measure of musicality and vibrant engagement I have been hearing thus far from Benini, Camarena, and Mattei.  But I was surprised by the impression I heard via microphones of Yende's voice, rather throughout its range, resounding with a presence that seemed vicerally house-filling.  Pray tell, anyone in the house tonight: Tonight was Yende's voice quite all that-- a lyric coluratura not only that reaches throughout the house but that also fills the house with its palpable presence?  Such a voice is rare indeed.  Thanks for any assessment of the real thing, which can only be judged in the house.

Sent from my iPad