Subject: Re: Richard Tucker and "La Juive"
From: Michael Delos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jan 2017 19:46:51 -0500

If memory serves, the Met JUIVE was to have been a joint production, funded
by the Gramma Fischer Foundation, and would have been shared with other
companys like SF, Chicago, Seattle, etc.  Rather like the BOLENA that
Sutherland took around.  Once there is an existing set, it's far easier to
do off-beat rep - this is one reason why RUSSALKA got a foothold in the US -
the Houston production put it on the map - having the young Renee Fleming
and Ben Heppner didn't hurt either!!

I believe Sills was scheduled to sing the JUIVE with Tucker, but of course
all those plans disappeared when Tucker died.  I don't think JUIVE is that
great of an opera - there are certainly moments though - most involving the
tenor, so I can see the attraction, apart from the connection with Caruso.
I think of it like FANCIULLA - great high points but a LOT of filler where
you continually check your watch . . . .