Subject: Re: Another recording "finally" on CD
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jan 2017 16:16:26 -0500

Bob Rideout wrote:

"What am I missing? You say there are tapes from London and New
Orleans, and then you say he died before he could sing it on stage.
Something is not quite right."

I misspoke, I meant on stage at the Met, which was Tucker's operatic home base.

He did sing in a staged production in New Orleans.  The London performance, however, was a
concert performance at Royal Albert Hall (I think).  And you are correct that he also sang a
concert performance in New York, however, it was at Carnegie Hall and not the BAM (unless
there was a tandem concert I don't know about).  But as far as I know, the only recorded
performances are New Orleans and London.

Incidentally, Schonberg's NYT review of the 1964 concert performance at Carnegie Hall is very
snide and dismissive about the opera itself.  Schonberg may have heard a lousy performance,
but I think the opera is wonderful and very effective.

MDW