Subject: Re: Bel Canto
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Jan 2017 20:51:43 -0500

> On Jan 14, 2017, at 7:14 PM, gordon young <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  The melodic structure was
> bland with little variety. The orchestration was labored often becoming
> noisy which was appropriate for some scenes but not for all.

He definitely needs to give his melodic lines some contour and shape.  The most inspired music, to me, was Carmen’s aria and her love duet with the interpreter.  I thought that she really stole the spotlight, certainly from the voiceless Danielle de Niese, with her lush rendition that soared to heights not reached in the rest of the opera.
The music was generally derivative with the requisite set numbers, including a Russian Basso Buffo aria.
I also agree with Gordon Young that much of the book came off as trite and pretentious.  The icon of the sainte peering through the doors at the climax of the prayer makes Suor Angelica look like a Quinten Tarantino film.
I do think that Jimmy Lopez has some talent, displayed mainly in his orchestral writing and hope that he continues to develop his craft.

Ron Magnuson