Subject: Bel Canto
From: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Jan 2017 18:14:44 -0600

During the "discussion" about the current political situation in the US one
of our members mentioned how people seemed more interested in this topic
than in opera. Today I notice no one has commented last night's Bel Canto
from Chicago.
38 minutes into the first act I looked at my watch ... not a good sign ...
but I did watch the entire opera. For me it had the problems that I
generally associate with contemporary opera. The melodic structure was
bland with little variety. The orchestration was labored often becoming
noisy which was appropriate for some scenes but not for all.
Not only was I not moved by the musical language but the libretto's attempt
at poetry came across as trite and predicable. It was also the choices made
in how to telling the story with more emphasis on crowd scenes than
centering on the characters. Again, I think, one of the things that annoyed
me was how noisy the whole thing was.
Contemporary opera interests me a great deal and I have seen a great deal
in the theater and on video (does that date me?) and the web. Some I like
and some I do not like but I will always give them a chance.
It also was not filmed very well.

Modify your settings: